Who said school needed to be boring?
This month I had the opportunity to join a bunch of motoring and lifestyle journalists (predominantly millennials), plus Porsche Ambassador, Torah Bright for a day at the Porsche Sport Driving School track at Mt Cotton Training Centre, Cornubia Queensland (about an hour from Brisbane).
I had never participated in a driving school before, so I wasn’t sure what to expect from the day. All I knew was that I was both very excited and nervous to see what the day had in store.
Before the day of PSDS, we got to enjoy an evening with the Porsche Australia Marketing & PR team, as well as get to know the fellow journos before our big day on the track! It was a great way to unwind from our Inter-State flights, and get our minds ready for the day ahead!
^Behind the scenes and all the fun from the day!^
Porsche Sport Driving School
Working through the various training levels, you can finesse your driving style step by step, from the basics of vehicle control to professional driving skills. Maximum performance is about more than horsepower and torque alone. To harness raw power, you not only need advanced technology, you also need a solid repertoire of driving techniques. To push the limits, you firstly have to explore your limits.
What We Did
‘Precision – The basics of mastering a vehicle’
For me, I wanted to get the most out of the day. So I pushed my own limits. A lot of the things you learn, you won’t get much value out of it if you are reserved. The tracks are very safe, and the trainers are extremely helpful.
This beginner course is designed to prepare you to be able to participate in the other course levels, as well as teaching you proper vehicle control in a safe and controlled environment. Replicating real world hazards for you to then find your way out of- safely. These real world examples are aimed to teach you how to handle hazards you may face at a variation of speeds and variation skill sets.
Precision Course Training Content
• Correct seating position, steering and vision control
• High speed ABS emergency braking and accident avoidance
• Introduction to the racing line
• Load-changing scenarios
• Understeer and oversteer
• Slalom and handling section
• Efficient use of the Electronic Stability System
• Closed road circuit lapping
• Driving style assessment
• Passenger ride in 911 GT3
• Cayenne off-road four wheel drive experience
What I Loved The Most
I personally loved being to try the entire Porsche Model fleet, and all within a day. Prior to this day, and my Macan review, I had only tried and driven the Porsche Cayenne. This mean I was especially excited to try out their sports vehicles! I even found I really loved the Panemera, which was a shock to myself.
The cars we got to drive and experience:
Cayman, Cayman S, Boxster, Boxster S, 911 Carrera, 911 Carrera S, 911 Carrera 4S, Panamera, Cayenne Diesel, Cayenne GTS
Skills that really had a major impact on me: correct seating position, ABS braking & accident avoidance, and oversteer & understeer.
Even though I get to review some really amazing vehicles, I know I still have a lot to learn about cars and even especially driving.
Cool things to note:
• Requires: Full Drivers Licence, but P-Plates is accepted (hello 18th or 21st birthdays!)
• The day is run by professional motorsport drivers (therefore, highly experienced supervisors and trainers)
• Hot lap in a Porsche GT3 (although, be warned, getting footage in this part is very difficult (due to the speeds)- so just sit back and enjoy the ride!)
• Ask heaps of questions! If you don’t understand something, or want to know more this is the best opportunity!
Although we completed the first tier, there are an additional 4.
2) Precision Plus – How to handle the vehicle and respond correctly in hazardous situations
3) Performance – Advanced tuition on steering and cornering on a challenging racetrack
4) Master – High performance 911 GT3 driving with satellite data tracking
5) GT3 Cup – Driving a genuine, factory-built 911 GT3 Cup Car
These all have differing prices, and skill levels depending on your personal requirements.
Now that I have finally done a driving school course, I wish these were compulsory. Even from a young driver standing point (who is now on their full licence)- I still learned some very valuable skills which I wish I had when I was in my early days of driving.
I have taken away some very valuable driving skills, which will help me navigate the roads and better handle situations that could just save my life.
I strongly recommend trying out one of these courses. You don’t need to be a car fanatic, you just need to be ready for learning,..and a whole lot of fun!
Porsche Sport Driving School prices start at $1,485 inclusive of GST (Pricing for Level 1; Precision – The basics of mastering a vehicle).
For more information check out Porsche Sport Driving School – Australia.
Opportunity provided on behalf of Porsche Australia
Photography provided by Porsche Australia